We seek fiction, non-fiction, essay, short story collection, novella and memoir manuscripts that are unique, compelling, and well-written. Both agented and non-agented manuscripts receive full consideration. We do not accept erotica, poetry, or genre fiction (e.g. crime, fantasy, romance, science fiction and horror). For book-length titles we prefer manuscripts to be over 30,000 words. For short story collections, we ask you to ensure that the majority of the work is unpublished. Only completed manuscripts will be considered. We aim to respond to submissions within four months.
- Manuscript file. Accepted formats are
.docx. The name of the file must indicate your surname, name, and the title of the book. Please don’t use all capitals. Example:
- Separate one-page synopsis. Accepted formats are
.docx. Please don’t use all capitals. Example: (
- Timeline for completion (if unfinished)
- Projected length (if unfinished)
Submission emails must:
- Format subject as name followed by type of submission (e.g. John Smith – Non-fiction)
- Include all contact details
- Include a brief biography
- Mention target audience and comparable titles
Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but if your work is accepted elsewhere while we’re considering it, congratulations and please let us know.
Submissions should be sent here.* Thank you in advance for letting us read your work, and considering publication with our small press.
* The link will open your email client with a new pre-filled email going to submissions at blackwaterpress dot com. If your mail client is not configured then use the above-mentioned address (replacing the ‘at’ [@] and ‘dot’ [.]) with your mail interface of preference.